- LIVING FOR FREE and GIVING
- Free Training
- Free Books
- Free Bread
- Have the time of your life!
- Shop Information
- News Release
- Thoughts on your life!
- 2017 Shops & examples
- Den's Wish List
- About Dennis
- In The Media
- Contact Us
Updated 20 March 2018
Let's share the Spirit of Christmas throughout 2018! (see Dennis' current 'shop' details below in bold). You can start one as well)
Help organise a SpiritofChristmas shop in your area for Christmas 2018. Read the Testimonials on the left to see the wonderful joy to be shared when we do. Thanks to everyone who helped make my 2017 shop a success, especially Michael who loaned me the shop.
In 2008 Dennis Stevenson opened his leased Brisbane house and gave everything away. You may have seen it on TV 9's Today show with Karl and Lisa. Dennis uses his life to help people without charge. He says "If you need a hand, I've got two".
Then he got a free stand at the organic market in Brisbane and later (up to 2017), the Gold Coast, where he gave away free books, free pets (soft toys) and free life consultations. He had 3 rocking horses, slippery dip etc for kids to play on.
In 2009, Dennis borrowed an empty Gold Coast shop a week before christmas, called it 'Spirit of Christmas' and with community involvement and no cost, gave away thousands of new presents to help see no one went without. In 2012, in his fourth shop, he gave away over 11,000 presents. In 2013, 2014 and 2015 others opened shops in Victoria and Queensland. In 2016 and 2017, Dennis opened his first NSW shops, in lovely Ocean Shores.
Madonna King on ABC radio at the 2011 Happiness Conference panel asked Dennis if he was still rich (see 'In the Media' interview). He said, “I have wealth beyond belief… but if you're talking about money, that's another matter.” This raised some chuckles.
Dennis is a business and marketing consultant, motivational speaker, community trainer and life coach. To live his belief, Dennis doesn’t charge anyone – for anything. This includes his talks, workshops and professional consultations. He enjoys the idea of helping create communities with a gift economy, freely helping and sharing with each other without ever creating an obligation or need for anyone to give back.
In discussing how the free shops are possible, Dennis thanked the wonderful people who loaned shops, gave free insurance; juice for helpers; superb signs; mowed lawns and took great photographs. He said that the shop volunteers; the people who brought in thousands of presents; the lovely folk who create, host and register this free website and the very generous people in the media are all superb examples of love in action. He says, "I wish everyone could see the joy of people who take their gifts."
While his christmas shops only give new presents, Dennis also collects pre-loved items and gives them away in public spaces throughout the year. Since early January, he has run a shop, open 24/7, (really 1–3 large tables, benches and wall) in a huge shed next to the river opposite the Brunswick Heads Hotel, Northern NSW. Thousands of books, clothes, toys, household items, jewellery, tinned food, furniture etc., have gone out. People are wonderful in keeping things neat and bringing gifts in that are clean and working. As the Council does other good things, Dennis keeps the shed and tables clean.
Let's keep the spirit of Christmas alive with love in our hearts throughout 2018.
Christmas shops since 2009:
|2009 Burleigh Gold Coast, Queensland|
|2010 Nundah, Brisbane, Qld Australia|
|2011 Clayfield, Brisbane|
|2012 Norman Park, Brisbane|
2013 Wangaratta, Nth Victoria
2014 Coolum, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
and again in Wangaratta, Victoria.
2015 Shops are again in Coolum, Sunshine
Coast, Qld and Wangaratta in Victoria.
2016 Shop was in Ocean Shores, NSW.
2017 Shop (October) in Jimboomba, Qld
2017 Christmas Shop was again in Ocean Shores
Live Brisbane Broadcast 96.5 FM
96.5 FM did a direct broadcast from the Spirit of Christmas shop from 3pm to 6pm. What a wonderful team! Many people who visited our shop say they heard about it on 96.5 FM.
This is how Dennis does it. So can you for Christmas 2018
- Gather some friends to enjoy a special event in your life. Perhaps three to six generous, reliable people. Read the ideas and view the photographs on this site. Meet up and each choose a task you enjoy. Write out some simple steps.
- Find and borrow an empty shop with parking. Call it "Spirit of Christmas (your city)". Open for a week or so before Christmas. Include the day of Christmas Eve if you can.
- People are very helpful. Borrow tables, covers, stands, mirror etc.
- Get free Public Liability insurance (usually required).
- Ask local businesses to donate cleaning for windows and floors, and shop signs.
- Collect new gifts (or anything that looks absolutely brand new). It's best to ask families, not companies. The shops are a community activity and businesses do more than enough already. Please, nothing 'second hand'. It's a gift shop, not an Op Shop. People need to be able to wrap their presents as new Christmas presents. Fill the shop ready for your grand opening.
- Tell everyone. Write a News Release. When the lovely folk on TV, radio, papers, groups and clubs hear of your shop, they'll tell everyone and do what they can to help. People will bring in loads of new gifts and, together, we'll bring the true Spirit of Christmas alive.
CHRISTMAS IS A SONG OF LOVE FOR EVERY HEART TO SING
"There will come a time, I know, when people will take delight in one another, when each will be like a star to the other, and when each will listen to his fellow as to music. The free men will walk upon the earth, men great in their freedom. They will walk with open hearts, and the heart of each will be pure of envy and greed, and therefore all mankind will be without malice, and there will be nothing to divorce the heart from reason. Then life will be one great service to man! His figure will be raised to lofty heights-- for to free men, all heights are attainable. Then we shall live in truth and freedom and in beauty, and those will be accounted the best who will the more widely embrace the world with their hearts, and whose love of it will be the profoundest; those will be the best who will be the freest; for in them is the greatest beauty. Then will all life be great, and the people will be great who live that life." Maxim Gorky